Bay of Plenty Flyfishing Guide
Ian Gibbs is a top fly fisherman who has been guiding for trout for over 15 years and genuinely delights in being able to pass on fly fishing skills and local knowledge to others.
Ian has represented New Zealand in Oceania, Commonwealth and World Championships. He has also guided the winning team in the Nelson One Fly Competition.
He has served as president of the Auckland freshwater anglers club and is on the board of SSFNZ.
Ian and Kay Gibbs
Phone: +64 7 549 4277
Email: [email protected]
Indicative tariff as at 1 Jan 2019
- Full day: NZ $500
- Half day: NZ $300
- Guiding plus home stay (including meals): NZ
$650 per day
- Extra non fishing person: NZ $30 per night
About your guide
Trout guide Ian Gibbs:
- Has been a fly fisherman since his father
first took him fishing at the age of eight
- Began guiding 15 years ago on the Maruia
River and around Murchison in the South Island, working for a fishing lodge.
- Has guided the winning team in the Nelson One Fly Competition.
- Has fished every national fly fishing championship since 2002
- Has represented New Zealand on seven different
occasions since 2002, in competition with other fly fishing countries.
- Finished 35th in the World Champs
in Spain in 2003 and 21st in the Commonwealth Champs in 2004, and 16th in the Oceania Champs in 2007 Was a member of the team that won gold at the 2005 Oceania championships at Rotorua.
- Has served as treasurer and then president of the Auckland freshwater anglers club.
Ian is happy to supply all the fly fishing equipment you may need.
What to bring
The minimum to bring is:
- -Warm clothing
- - Rain jacket
- - Hat
- - Polaroid sun glasses
- - Camera
Bringing your own gear?
If you would like to bring your own gear recommended items are:
- Rod 4 to 6 weight
- Lines to suit: floating and sinking
- Breathable waders (No felt-soled boots)
From small spring creeks with crystal clear water to large lakes, Ian knows the fishing in and around the Bay of Plenty.
With his wealth of experience and local knowledge, Ian is able to provide anglers with a day (or more) fishing according to their skill level and desire. Whether it is the first time catching a fish or those anglers who wish to catch one of New Zealand,s fabled trophy trout, Ian will be able to accommodate you.
Some rivers he fishes are the: